Help us shine a light in Kansas City
The Kansas City Beacon listens to diverse perspectives and investigates systemic issues — and potential solutions — through original, fact-based reporting. As a nonprofit newsroom, we rely on donations. You can help keep our journalism free for all readers by becoming a monthly member.
The Beacon Newsletter
Public service journalism delivered every Tuesday and Thursday, straight to your inbox.
About The Beacon
You deserve a trusted source for unbiased, independent Kansas City news. And we’re here to provide it.
The Kansas City Beacon is the metro’s first nonprofit, community-supported digital news organization in the public interest. And we’re partnering with you – the readers – to make it happen.
This is your newsroom.
Using public records, we found how local governments spent millions in federal funds for COVID-19 relief
- How different priorities in Northland counties affected CARES Act spending
- For Jackson County, getting COVID relief money came with early problems
- Checking receipts: How the richest county in Kansas spent $124.3 million in CARES Act funds
- Tracking COVID relief spending in Wyandotte County: How $37.3 million was spent
- Here’s how Kansas City spent $32 million in CARES Act money